HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH TEACHER, 9/99-Present
HERRICKS HIGH SCHOOL New Hyde Park, NY
Teach Language Arts, Regents Assisted, AP-Lit, Creative Writing,
Responding to Literature, and Writing Methods classes. Facilitate/Advise
Poetry Club and co-advise the GSA. Organize ninth-grade Poetry Celebration
and several student showcases, trips, publications, and speaker
WRITING WORKSHOP TEACHER/FACILITATOR, 8/98 - Present
Huntington Youth Bureau/ Poets and Writers Huntington, NY
Work with teens from the community on developing writing skills
through creative writing with a focus on publication and public
CREATIVE WRITING INSTRUCTOR, 9/03 - 6/04
Harriet Eisman Community School Long Beach,
Conduct creative writing classes/workshops for students in a democratic
EVENT COORDINATOR/CARETAKER/TOUR GUIDE,
5/96 – 8/01
Walt Whitman Birthplace State Historic
Site Huntington Station, NY
Planned and hosted literary events. Co-founded and coordinated The
Body Electric- a monthly experimental art collective for the community.
Gave tours for visiting public and groups from various organizations.
MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER, 8/97 - 9/99
The Brooklyn School For Global Studies Brooklyn,
Taught Writing Workshop, Humanities, Mathematics, and Special Education.
Students in workshop created anthologies and put on readings of
their work annually. Created a middle school writing workshop curriculum
correlated to the New York State New Performance Standards in Language
Arts. Served as a mentor for prospective teachers involved in internships
through universities. Served on various committees dealing with
student life. Set up after school homework help and intramural basketball
EDUCATIONAL CONSULTANT/WORKSHOP FACILITATOR,
The Armenian Diocese Cathedral New York,
Work with teachers and students alike in the writing process and
its implications in the secondary education classroom.
And hundreds of public readings, lectures, workshops over the past
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (Poetry) Goddard College
- Provisional Certification in Secondary Ed. (7-12) Queens College
- Bachelor of Arts in English Hofstra University Hempstead, NY 12/95
- New York City Teaching License (JHS) 8/97 and Special Ed. Certification
- Facing History and Ourselves @ Bard College, NY summer workshop
- District 15 Writing Workshop for teachers Brooklyn, NY 10/98 -
- Project Smart Training for technology in the classroom Brooklyn,
- Awarded two Fellowships to the Chenango Valley Writers' Conference
Hamilton, NY 8/97 and 8/99
- Assistant to the Director Hofstra University Writers' Conference
- Master Class of Poetry at the Walt Whitman Birthplace 6/96, 6/99
- Contributed writing to various regional and international publications:
Ararat, Lyric Review, Newsday, Colere, Segue, can we have our ball
back, Whalelane, Traverse, Rattapallax, Poetry Midwest, and CHAIN
among many others. Monthly column for longislandmusicscene.com.
- Active Member of LILAC (Long Island Language Arts Council), NYSEC
(New York State English Council), NCTE (National Council for Teachers
of English), ASCAP, The Academy of American Poets, and on the Project
Excel Advisory Board.
- Conducted workshops and presentations for LILAC and NYSEC annual
conferences and NACA National Association of Campus Activities).
- Conducted interactive/interdisciplinary workshops for Teachers
and Writers Collaborative in New York City (with poet Will Alexander)
and The Huntington Art League (with painter/teacher Rich Ganes).